Subject: Changes to default .login file
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/2000 17:27:45
On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Peter Seebach wrote:

>Creation of a non root account and use of su(1) for root access is recommended
>
> I think the message shouldn't be there.

	The message is a useful warning for new users - as someone else
	mentioned experienced users should be able to edit their dotfiles

> I also don't like the 'tset' thing.
> Couldn't it just either guess or warn me?
>
> 99% of my root logins look like this:
>
> 	Don't login as root, use the su command.
> 	Terminal type [vt220]? cd /usr/src
> 	Unknown terminal type "cd /usr/src"
> 	Terminal type? [^M]
> 	Terminal type? ^C
> 	#

	... at which point you have 'noglob histchars=""' set, which
	nicely hoses the default 'cd' alias and a bunch of other stuff.

	I agree that is _evil_.

	OK - updated proposal:

a) Change "Don't login as root, use the su command." to:
Creation of a non root account and use of su(1) for root access is recommended.

b) Change "tset -Q \?$TERM" to:
if ( $TERM == unknown ) then
    tset -Q \?$TERM
else