Subject: RE: "Don't login as root, use the su command."
To: 'der Mouse' <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Bruce Martin <>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/2000 16:38:10
I think that once you are a fairly competent Unix user, a message like that
appears obnoxious, but I also think newish users tend to get into the habit
of logging in as root because it's quick and easy and you can do ANYTHING!
(I speak from experience ... rm -fr * in the wrong place show you your own

I think the message is a useful reminder, and should be included. And yes,
the new one is slightly clearer to a new user, and indicates the
availability of a manpage to clarify things.