Subject: Re: OSS lkm for NeoMagic (was: Re: a.out and -current)
To: Jerry Alexandratos <darkstar@udel.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 02/05/2000 18:27:59
In message <20000205191826.B346@hellboy.aug.fusa.com>Jerry Alexandratos writes
>On Sat, Feb 05, 2000 at 03:34:14PM -0800, Jonathan Stone wrote:
>
>A better bet might be to look at the FreeBSD drivers that were recently
>committed.

Could you send me a more concrete pointer, please? I didn't find them
on the Web site -- FreeBSD's kernel source tree is such a mess,
compared to NetBSD.

>But until such a driver appears, can someone please answer my _original_
>question and tell me if there's a way to run the OSS stuff which is
>a.out on a purely ELF -current system?

You have a.out kernel LKMs you want to load into elf?  you could try
objcopy to convert them to ELF.  You can't just use the old modload
and the old a.out ld (modload execs ld to relocate the .o into the
kernel address space), because you'd need a ld that groks both a.out
and ELF.  Hm.  Maybe you could use objcopy to convert your booted ELF
kernel to a.out, put tat into /emul/a.out, then run the old a.out
modload and ld from within /emul. Yep. That should work.