Subject: Re: ISA<->PCMCIA card readers
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org, current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/05/2000 16:09:40
In message <200002052017.PAA28850@istari.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>, "Michael C. R
ichardson" writes:
>  I got a "DataChute" for my Baystack card. I plugged it in this week
>finally. No problems:

So, I'm pretty convinced at this point that the killer is that the
motherboards I can come up with (ASUS P2L-97, Tyan Thunder 2, both 440LX)
are having serious ISA mapping problems.

So, it occurs to me:  Does anyone use *CardBus* adapters?  My cardbus
laptop is working beatifully with the ray0 card.  A PCI<->CardBus adapter
would probably work for me.  *sigh*.

For that matter, anyone know if USB<->CardBus readers are supported in
-current?  :)  I know it sounds insane, but it's cheaper than the
PCI<->CardBus adapter I've seen.

I don't suppose there's an easy way to debug problems with getting access
to 64k of ISA memory on a system that *really* doesn't seem to be able to
allocate it?  !@*# box "reserves" memory for ISA space, then gives me all
ffff's, or just never notices incoming packets, or *something*, and this is
turning into a huge timesink.

-s