Subject: Re: pcmcia irq changes
To: Christian E. Hopps <chopps@merit.edu>
From: Roger Brooks <R.S.Brooks@liverpool.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 02/02/2000 21:53:22
On 1 Feb 2000, Christian E. Hopps wrote:

>I've just committed, (probably to my undoing :), code that probes for
>available irqs for the pcmcia controller.
>
>So if you have
>
>options PCIC_ISA_INTR_ALLOC_MASK=<somemask>
>
>in your kernel config and you have some chipset other than the cirrus,
>please remove this from your kernel config and see if everything is
>found correctly.

My Dell Lattitude needs this (or the PCMCIA NE2000 winds up sharing IRQ7 with
lpt0).

Unfortunately I installed SuSE Linux on it last weekend because I want IrDA
support.  Last night I just about got ppp over IrDA working with my Siemens S25
mobile phone.  It's a bit lumpy for telnet use though (round-trip time for ping is
~900 msec), although it's just about usable provided you don't look at the
screen while you're typing.  Reminds me of the days when I used to manage a
cluster of 2 VAX 11/780's with ~60 logged-on users each.  :-)

And the Linux install did manage to configure the PCMCIA NE2000 card
automatically BTW.  The laptop has no CDROM, so when I was installing
NetBSD I had to use the 2-disk install set with DDB so I could set
PCIC_ISA_INTR_ALLOC_MASK and install over ethernet.

Any chance you could put an install floppy image somewhere I could get at it?
That should be enough to boot up and check I can access the NE2000, and in fact
might be an easier way for most people to test it.

Roger

Roger Brooks (Systems Programmer),          |  Email: R.S.Brooks@liv.ac.uk
Computing Services Dept,                    |  Tel:   +44 151 794 4441
The University of Liverpool,                |  Fax:   +44 151 794 4442
PO Box 147, Liverpool L69 3BX, UK           |