Subject: Re: semctl(2) changes
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/31/2000 10:32:35
Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com> writes:
> > a. because very few programs [if any] are affected
> > b. because it is current damn it and we'll break it as much as we like,
> >    [the semctl breakage happened after the 1.4 release] :-)
>
> I think this is a mistake, because it doesn't take into account the
> literally thousands of copies of 1.4M kicking around out there on Comdex
> Snapshot CDs.

and how many users of those CD-ROMs are using semctl() from statically
linked programs?

note that, as i understand it, for dynamically linked programs when
you update both the kernel and libc, your binaries continue to win.

There's probably a cautionary tale here, but to my mind it probably is
"don't go shipping thousands of copies of in-rapid-development
sources on CD-ROM and give users the expectation that they're a
release."

cgd