Subject: Re: DELL Latitude and 3c589
To: None <feico@pasta.cs.uit.no>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/28/2000 23:25:58
Thus spake Feico Dillema
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 11:40:03AM -0500, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> > > 	pcmcia0: card irq 9
> >
> > I notice that the boot disk that works gives me irq 5 but the kernel I
> > build gives me irq 9.

Actually I had it reversed.  It is the irq9 that works and irq5 that
doesn't.

> In my experience such problems are generally due to an IRQ conflict.
> Does your laptop BIOS have settings to reserve IRQs for non-pnp ISA
> hardware? In that case, my guess is that IRQ 9 (== IRQ 2, BTW) is
> already taken by some piece of builtin hardware without NetBSD knowing
> about it. You could also try to build a kernel with your network card
> hardwired to irq 5 and see whether that helps, but I think you should
> be able to fix this by playing with your BIOS settings.

How do I hardwire the irq?  I tried just adding an irq 9 phrase to the ep
config line but it didn't seem to have any effect.  I can't find any man
page that talks about this.

If anyone wants to see my config and dmesg outputs you can view them
at ftp://ftp.vex.net/users/darcy.