Subject: Re: Softdep (was: Re: i386 1.4Q hangs nonrandomly?)
To: None <hermit@cs.tu-berlin.de>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/28/2000 20:31:20
>Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 18:15:57 +0100
>From: Bjoern Labitzke <hermit@hermit.home.cs.tu-berlin.de>
>
>I understood this, that you have to reboot after en-/disabling the
>soft updates on a fs.

As I said (in an aside) in the original message, the following
sequence also will demonstrate the lossage.

boot netbsd -s
# tunefs -N /dev/rwd0a		# reports softdeps enabled
# tunefs -n disable /dev/rwd0a
# tunefs -N /dev/rwd0a		# reports softdeps disabled
# reboot
And when the system comes up multiuser
# tunefs -N /dev/rwd0a		# reports softdeps enabled

Somehow, when the root_device is mounted readonly, the changes appear
to take place, but then mounting the filesystem rw *through any means*
will result in the old state being restored.

--
entropy