Subject: Softdep (was: Re: i386 1.4Q hangs nonrandomly?)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bjoern Labitzke <hermit@hermit.home.cs.tu-berlin.de>
List: current-users
Date: 01/28/2000 18:15:57
* David Maxwell (david@fundy.ca) [000128 17:50]:
| On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 09:34:26AM -0500, maximum entropy wrote:
| FWIW, my Jan 8 -current doesn't change the softdep setting when I
| do a mount -u /

Perhaps I misunderstood this, but I quote it anyway. It is from
Frank van der Lindens announcement that the softdep code got
integrated:

-----
To use it, do the following:

1. Update your sources.
2. Compile a new kernel with "options SOFTDEP" in your kernel config file.
3. Run the new kernel.
4. Install the new include files from sys/sys (i.e. at least do
   cd /usr/src/sys ; make includes). To be safe, just install them all
   (cd /usr/src ; make includes)
5. At least recompile libc, sbin/mount, sbin/fsck_ffs, sbin/tunefs, and
   install them.
6. Run "tunefs -n enable /dev/rXd0x" to enable soft updates on the
   filesystem(s) of your choice.
7. Remove "update=YES" from your /etc/rc.conf file. update(8) is no longer
   needed. Its work is now done in a more sophisticated way by a kernel
   thread.
8. Reboot
9. Have fun testing.
-----

I understood this, that you have to reboot after en-/disabling the
soft updates on a fs.

Bye, Bjoern

--
Bjoern Labitzke  <hermit@cs.tu-berlin.de>
   Use PGP! (Don't you use envelopes for your letters?)