Subject: Re: i386 1.4Q hangs nonrandomly?
To: None <david@fundy.ca>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/28/2000 09:34:26
>Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 10:24:12 -0400
>From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
>
>On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 03:06:51AM -0500, maximum entropy wrote:
>> # tunefs -N /dev/rwd0a		# reports softdeps disabled
>> # mount -u /			# or you could reboot to multiuser
>> # tunefs -N /dev/rwd0a		# reports softdeps enabled!!!
>
>That's the proper, if unintuitive, operation of mount -u.
>
>You didn't specify any options, so it took the fstab defaults. From
>MOUNT(8):  re: -u
>
>The set of options is determined by first extracting the options for
>the file system from the fstab(5) file, then applying any options
>specified by the -o argument, and finally applying the -r or -w option.

I must be completely clueless, because I don't understand how this
addresses what I reported.  I disabled softdeps, verified that they
were disabled, and when I remounted the filesystem rw, softdeps were
silently and magically reenabled.  You're correct that I didn't
specify any options, but my fstab entry doesn't say anything about
softdeps on the root filesystem:
/dev/wd0a / ffs rw 1 1

--
entropy