Subject: Re: Network performance very poor on 1.4P
To: Jason Thorpe <>
From: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/27/2000 22:44:58
On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jan 2000 19:15:26 -0800 (PST)
>  Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com> wrote:

>> You are right, my network is not full-duplex, yet the card is set to
>> full-duplex.

>> Strangely, though, I can't get ifconfig to get out of full duplex mode.
> ...even stranger... there's a PR in the database that claims the card
> can't be put *in* full-duplex (same chip).
> Sigh.
> I will have to study the manual for this beast again (I really despise
> the RealTek chips :-/)

Thanks to everybody's help, this mystery is solved.  For some reason, the
card stayed stuck in Full-Duplex mode even when ifconfig tells it not to.
Somebody want to submit the PR?

The fix was to go to
and pick up the RSET8029.EXE file and select Full Duplex Disable.  This
writes into the EEPROM, apparently.

Now, NetBSD kicks butt.  To and from the BSDI box, the 22,361,664-byte
file takes 21 seconds - that's 1.0 MB/s, which isn't half bad for 10 Mb/s
ethernet.  (It's also on average about 10% faster than a RH linux box
with a DC 21041 w/Tulip driver.)

Thanks again!  -Mike