Subject: DDB vs Freeze
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Hal Murray <murray@pa.dec.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/27/2000 15:09:30
> Yes, when I had softdeps enabled, several of my "lockups" were during
> large parallel file removals.  Since I'm running X and had DDB
> enabled, Jason's explanation would account for why I thought the
> system froze, when actually the system was most likely sitting in DDB.

This is just a wild suggestion, I know nothing about the code involved.

Would it be reasonable for the code that gets into DDB to get linked
up with the display driver (if there is one on the box) and do something
simple but conspicuous like video reversal to indicate that you are
in DDB rather than hung?

or play a tune on the keyboard or ...  Anything to provide a strong
hint that will indicate that the system isn't really hung.