Subject: Re: i386 1.4Q hangs nonrandomly?
To: maximum entropy <>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/25/2000 08:10:37

On Tue, Jan 25, 2000 at 06:17:18AM -0500, maximum entropy wrote:

> The recent changes to ld.elf_so enable dynamic loading of different
> shared libraries based on kernel sysconf variables.
> The file /usr/src/etc/etc.i386/ contains:
>       machdep.fpu_present,

Hm... My /etc tends to lag far behind my binary stuff, and I'm not actually
using this file...

Anyway, my CPU is an AMD K6-2. It shows npx as existing:

npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0-0xff: using exception 16

> As far as I can remember, I began experiencing these weird crashes
> around the same time as I installed that file into /etc.

I've definitely not mangled /etc recently, so I don't think that's it, at
least in my case.

Trying 1.4.1 ought to be instructive... I've got a disk ready for it, and
I get the errors pretty early on, depending on what I'm doing, so I'd ought
to be able to see something substantive by tonight.

   Mason Loring Bliss              E w i g=
awake ? sleep : dream;  B l u m e n k r a f=

Version: GnuPG v1.0.0 (NetBSD)
Comment: For info see