Subject: Re: i386 1.4Q hangs nonrandomly?
To: None <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/24/2000 13:21:59
>Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 12:23:59 -0500
>From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
>
>On Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 10:22:44PM -0500, maximum entropy wrote:
>
>> Every time my system has hung with 1.4P it has been during a "make
>> build" -- high disk IO and lots of process creation.
>
>I'm seeing the same behaviour with 1.4Q. If I run something that matches what
>you described, above, I crash. It takes a "make -j 3" or something to do it.
>I can do lesser things without problem.
>
>I have crash dumps available, if this is still a vaguely unknown problem.
>
>On coming back up, I get:
>
>Jan 23 15:04:28 acheron savecore: reboot after panic: trap

I just got a freeze with 1.4Q.  No panic, no crash dump, system
completely unresponsive.  This time the system was mostly idle -- make
build wasn't running, and nothing else was running that would be
starting lots of processes.  X was running, with a few xterms open,
one containing a screen session with emacs running.  Netscape (BSDI
version) was running but wan't actively being used.

The system was built from yesterday's sources, including:

kern_proc.c:
     $NetBSD: kern_proc.c,v 1.38 2000/01/22 16:53:50 thorpej Exp $

The system is:
NetBSD zippy.bernstein.com 1.4Q NetBSD 1.4Q (ZIPPY) #0: Sun Jan 23 15:58:53 EST 2000     entropy@zippy.bernstein.com:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/ZIPPY i386

--
entropy