Subject: Re: make depend. a good idea, but is it the law?
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/23/2000 12:15:49
Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov> writes:
> > Other than the usual caveats for rebuilding, are there any known dangers
> > of skipping ``make depend'' and going straight to ``make all'' ?
>
> You need the make depend step. In some cases, it explicitly builds certain
> .h files, so that the source files depend on the right one.

This is bogus.  if you _ever_ need a 'make depend' before a build of a
clean source tree, somebody has broken the source tree.  (Further, if
there's no way to do a complete build without also building
dependencies, something is broken as well.)

Point me to the problems, and i'll be glad to file some bug reports.
or, do them yourself if you want.

cgd