Subject: Re: i386 1.4P hangs randomly?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: current-users
Date: 01/22/2000 15:23:06
On 21.01.00, 07:16:12, Thilo Manske wrote:

> Today the same, except that I got some messages about "fork: Cannot
> allocate memory" and I think "vfork: Cannot..." as well. I jumped
> into the debugger, killed one unimportant process (junkbuster), and
> continued.
>
> > System has plenty of memory (especially when not running X), and is a PII.
> 128MByte (more than enough for its tasks), i386 as well (K6-2).
> Oh, and no laptop...

I'm having very similar trouble, every few hours the system either
stops dead (no debugger in kernel) or reboots. no panic, no dump.

I'm running X all the time (turned if off now and enabled debugger to
maybe see some things on the console).

Happened once when experimenting with the lfs file system, and another
time when swapping heavily while using gimp.

System is an Asus A2B with Celeron and 128 MB, no laptop. Worked
flawlessly with 1.4.1 and early 1.4P, but not with sources from Jan
21.

Oh, and one other thing, I cannot build a kernel with debugging info
and lfs. ("undefined reference to 'lfs_dump_super'")

I'll build a debugging kernel without lfs and see what happens.

--
Bernd Sieker

Unix, the solution to the W2k problem.