Subject: Re: i386 1.4P hangs randomly?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/21/2000 00:25:49
In message <20000121071612.A8349@WintelKiller.HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>, Thilo Mans
ke writes:
>And did CTRL-ALT-ESC work?
>(BTW: What should CTRL-ALT-DEL do? Running zsh I only get a beep
>and a ~)

ctl-alt-del, in general, is the "reboot" button for a PC.  Only works
sometimes.

>I had something similar yesterday and today again with a kernel made from
>sources from Jan 17-18th - it happend during the daily runs. The machine
> was not completely dead, i.e. responded to pings and even received and
>forwarded syslog messages and I was able to switch consoles and type
>some text there. But I couldn't login, I started the debugger manually,
>but didn't found out, what could be wrong,

Interesting.  I have been unable to type any text at all... Hmm.  At least,
not on anything in raw mode.  Didn't think to try switching consoles.

This is a Jan 15th kernel.  I'm gonna make a -current in the next 20 minutes
or so.

>After I continued the machine paniced immediatly and tried to sync (and
>failed).  Savecore didn't find a crashdump after reboot, so I can only tell
>from memory that the message was about "kernel ... not enough virtual
>memory..." or something like that.

That's what I'm *suspicious* of, because I know that I've had hangs like this
in the distant past (and also on a BSD/OS box) when KMEMSIZE was tuned too
small - but I don't know how to tune it under UVM.

>I've tried to reproduce it with the same kernel (starting /etc/daily
>manually while looking at top(1)'s output) so I can get crashdump
>and some data to fill out a PR but i didn't have any luck so far.

Me Too; not reproducible by doing the same things, but sometimes happens.

>BTW: My previous kernel (dated Jan 13) and the kernels befor didn't have
>this problem.

Yup, me too.  I'm sincerely hoping it's temporary and/or already fixed.
At this rate, if I don't get it fixed, by the end of the year my NetBSD
machine will have crashed as often as my Windows box did during the week of
vacation time I spent using it.  :)

-s