Subject: i386 1.4P hangs randomly?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/20/2000 22:53:43
This is pretty isolated so far, but my laptop is dying under load.
Symptoms:  System hangs.  I thought this was a panic being ignored
while I was in X, but I recently got it to happen on console.  No panic
message.  No debugger.  System just stopped responding to anything, including
ctl-alt-del.

APM is on and seems to be otherwise flawless.  Using PCMCIA, not CardBus,
and an ne2000 ethernet.  Some hangs have occurred without the card in
the system.  Not using other ports.  Hangs have occurred both with and
without USB keyboard.

Hangs appear to occur under load.  I thought it might be softdeps, so I
turned them off on /usr/src, and I've had a hang since then.  However,
all hangs have been while doing non-trivial builds.

System has plenty of memory (especially when not running X), and is a PII.
Compiled with -march=i686, if it matters.

-s