Subject: Re: New CVSup Service for NetBSD (and Kame and FreeBSD) source tree
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/20/2000 01:17:51
I have tried the cvsup access to the netbsd tree at the
Norway mirror pasta.cs.uit.no.  However, it isn't working as
expected.  Perhaps I just need further direction.

I used the sample netbsd-supfile as indicated at
	http://www.pasta.cs.uit.no/Pasta/virtual.html
(follow the links.  It mysteriously won't resolve as I write this)

In that sample file, the following is used:

	# Defaults that apply to all the collections
	*default host=cvsup.pasta.cs.uit.no
	# admin file placement for normal users
	*default base=/ingot/NetBSD/newsrc/.cvstest
	# admin file placement for privileged user
	###*default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
	# where to put the distribution? (your working directory)
	*default prefix=/ingot/NetBSD/newsrc
	*default release=cvs
	*default delete use-rel-suffix

	# If your network link is a T1 or faster, comment out the following line.
	*default compress

	# If you want all tree we have, use this line.
	#netbsd

	# smaller collections
	netbsd-basesrc
	netbsd-cryptosrc-intl
	netbsd-doc
	netbsd-gnusrc
	netbsd-pkgsrc
	netbsd-sharesrc
	netbsd-syssrc
	#netbsd-xsrc

The first problem is that the created directories are as suggested in the
collections: basesrc, gnusrc, sharesrc, etc.  This wouldn't be too bad if
I could make symbolic links for them in a properly structured source directory,
however it is not clear that they are structured for such linking.
The use of cvsup under freebsd for all the collections does indeed drop everything
into their proper places in /usr/src, if prefix= is indeed set to that.
Since this netbsd cvsup structure doesn't do that, I'd rather determine the
proper usage of cvsup to accomplish that rather than the empirical method on
a very slow VS3100 using "make build" to find the problems. :)

The second problem was minor, but easily resolved: without tag=., as the sample
file omits, the cvsup is downloading the RCS system rather than the working sources.
Popping tag=. into the supfile got me what I wanted.

So, my inquiry is this: What need I do to create a /usr/src from this mirror's
cvsup system for the 1.4P working sources right now?

Thanks in advance,
-skots
--
Scott G. Akmentins-Taylor     InterNet: staylor@mrynet.com