Subject: Re: rsync'able repository with crypto/xsrc/pkgsrc ?
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/19/2000 07:36:47
On Tue, 18 Jan 2000 10:32:45 -0500  Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> Rather than answering your question I'll explain to you why the master
> NetBSD AnonCVS repository does *not* let you do this.  We don't let you
> do it because of the extreme I/O load rsync places on the machine by
> busting the namei cache and causing tens of thousands of lookups to need
> to hit the actual inodes which are scattered all over the disk.

So, do you think we could set up a CTM distribution of the CVS tree?
That would help people in the network backwoods (... including
corporate lans with tricky firewalls and/or silly bandwith charges!)
and not beat up the server continually.

The last time this was tried an unnamed developer objected with a
question about whether the CTM deltas were in breach of the BSD
copyright, since the copyright is not included with each diffa.  That
would seem to be addressed with a similar notice to that which goes
out with the commit messages.

I'm prepared to install and administer the CTM software, if that would
help.

Regards,

Giles