Subject: Re: rsync'able repository with crypto/xsrc/pkgsrc ?
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/18/2000 10:32:45
On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 05:32:01AM -0800, Todd Whitesel wrote:
> I much prefer rsync'ing the cvs repository since my home network is rather
> isolated from the outside world, but the directories I'm currently getting
> by rsync do not include crypto, xsrc, or pkgsrc. Is there an rsync'able
> repository somewhere that has these?

Rather than answering your question I'll explain to you why the master
NetBSD AnonCVS repository does *not* let you do this.  We don't let you
do it because of the extreme I/O load rsync places on the machine by
busting the namei cache and causing tens of thousands of lookups to need
to hit the actual inodes which are scattered all over the disk.  Just the
rsyncs for the actual AnonCVS mirrors cause a very noticeable performance
decrease for people using CVS; having zillions of end-users running rsync
would bring the machine to its knees.

A hacked version of rsync that didn't actually hit the disk on the server
side, but rather used a file of checksums that was updated periodically
(like sup) would fix this, but I haven't had the time to investigate.

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"