Subject: Re: a.out->ELF success
To: None <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/13/2000 09:34:04
On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 01:21:36PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just wanted to drop a note that I upgraded my notebook which ran 1.4.1
> userland and a -current kernel to a -current userland last night, with the
> help of using the latest snapshot, and doing a "make build" after that.
> After I restored the a.out /usr/lib, things ran just fine, the only thing
> I felt like upgrading to ELF was tcsh. Kdm and the rest of KDE came up
> just fine. Good work! :)

Of course, because of the limitations of the package tools, you won't
be able to go long without replacing _all_ of your packages.  The
package tools don't know the difference between ELF and a.out packages
and, consequently, think that libraries from a.out packages satisfy
dependencies when building or installing new ELF ones...