Subject: Re: softdep panics
To: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
From: Ethan Solomita <ethan@geocast.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/13/2000 00:09:34
	The following might be helpful: first, get the exact quote of the
panic. I found in the code base "softdep_lock: lock held by %d" and a
similar string starting "softdep_lock_interlocked". So it the exact
quote, including the pid that it is claiming holds the lock.

	Then at the ddb debugger type "ps" to find the name of the process
referred to by the pid, and note down the last column which tells you
where the process is blocked. Finally, get the backtrace ("trace"? or
"bt"? I can't remember).

	This will tell me who owned the lock and why they're blocked, and it'll
tell me what code the current process is running that wants to get the
lock. Also, when you type "ps" I think it displays the current process
with a "*" at the beginning of the line, so then you can find out the
name of the process trying to grab the lock.

	If you can get me that, it might help. Thanks!
	-- Ethan