Subject: Re: cross compiling -cuurent on 1.4/alpha
To: None <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/09/2000 18:48:15
[ On Sunday, January 9, 2000 at 04:36:45 (-0800), Todd Whitesel wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: cross compiling -cuurent on 1.4/alpha
> > rumours (directly from someone who visited and saw it for real) that
> > even Microsoft developed DOS, early versions of Windows and some
> > applications on Xenix systems for quite a long time (at least up to 1986
> As a MicroSerf Intern in 1991, I can testify that we used _OS/2_ to develop
> code which would eventually run on Windows; in fact everyone in my group
> avoided Windows like the plague, except for final testing. All unit testing
> was done on OS/2 where you could get nice clean SEGV's.

The time I'm talking about should have been before 1989, I think, just
before, or about, the time MS-Windows-2.1 was released.  I don't
remember OS/2 being stable enough to use at that time or we probably
would have chosen it for the project I was working on instead of

> Hey, we had two of those in my dorm at school... Those suckers were tough;
> even from the 5-story Aero building, we had to drop them 3 times before the
> CRTs would implode.

I often wondered....

I've got one that fell off the back of a UPS truck (though they would
have me believe otherwise, but there's no other explanation for the 3"
deep dent in the top).  Still works fine!  :-)

I don't think I'll be repeating either experiment ever though -- those
things are practically antiques now and I've only got so many left!

(I hope you were forced to carry them up the stairs by hand too! :-)

> I think you may not realize how far ``make snapshot'' has come in the last
> year. It is not far off from being usable for both snapshots and releases.

That's really cool then!  I look forward to the day in the hopefully
near future when I can do more frequent and more -current builds.  An
ultimate merge of all the release building processes into "make
snapshot" would be ideal of course....

It's very nice to see actual photos of so many different real machines
running NetBSD -- perhaps you can get someone to make a link off the
main NetBSD pages to show this off!

> The goal is regular snapshots, of the same sources, for as many ports,
> and of as much of the system as practical.

> It irks me whenever I see us make announcements like "CardBus in -current"
> and I know that nobody will be able to download a snapshot with that code
> in it for weeks or perhaps even months. We need the equivalent of
> FreeBSD-stable, and frequent synchronized snapshots are essentially the
> same thing, just on oodles more architectures.

The equivalent of -stable, but without the branch!  :-)

							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <>; Secrets of the Weird <>