Subject: Re: RFC: Simple screen editor for NetBSD
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/08/2000 15:02:39
On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, der Mouse wrote:

> Whom would this putative editor be for?  My first thought is that
> anyone who needs it - who is unwilling or unable to learn to use vi or
> ed - is going to *always* have trouble, and not just with text editing.
> Such people are never going to be able to use anything very much like
> UNIX; the closest they will get is using handholding interfaces that,
> under the hood, rely on UNIXisms.

  ...mumble mumble mumble interoperability mumble mumble mumble...

It just occured to me: why can't sysinst install binary packages?  It has
the disks mounted and just installed pkg_add.  Those who want a different
editor simply install one.  Makes life a little easier for new users
without bloating the base system (and is a step in the direction of
installing the base system as a package).

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@pgh.net