Subject: Re: mounting a ISO9660 FS image?
To: Markus Illenseer <markus@core.de>
From: Michael Eriksson <eramore@era-t.ericsson.se>
List: current-users
Date: 01/05/2000 01:05:01
Markus Illenseer wrote:
> > I was expecting that vnconfig would be what I'm after, but vnconfig(8)
> > talks about wanting geometries or disktab entries.
> >
> > If someone has the answer I'd appreciate it - I've only got access to
> > the CD writer for a couple of days.
>
>  See "man vnconfig"
>
>  vnconfig vnd0 /tmp/myISO9660diskimage
>  mkdir /tmp/cdrom
>  mount -t cd9660 /dev/vnd0c /tmp/cdrom
>  cd /tmp/cdrom
>  ls
>  cd /
>  umount /tmp/cdrom
>  vnconfig -u vnd0

Using vnconfig without explicit geometry information isn't a very good
idea. The kernel will assign a default label, but doing that it will
truncate the vnode size to an integral number of megabytes, which can
be somewhat confusing (been there, done that :-)).

This is what I have been using instead:

burken# ls -l foo.img
-rw-r--r--  1 eramore  wheel  7364608 Jan  5 00:54 foo.img
burken# echo "7364608/512" | bc
14384
burken# vnconfig vnd0 foo.img 512/14384/1/1

"One track, one cylinder" also happens to be how real CDs work, right? :-)

Regards,
Michael