Subject: Re: RAIDFRAME questions
To: None <>
From: Dave Barr <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/04/2000 15:26:31
Markus Kilbinger wrote:
> Does the '/dev/sd{1,2}a is not clean!' mean real harm, or is it just
> cosmetic? Especially in the first case how to fix it?

It's real harm, in the sense that the RAID parity checksums
are now inconsistent, and you're not operating redundantly anymore.

> Another question: With the mounted /dev/raid0d 'raidctl -s raid0' just
> says:
>   raidctl: unable to open device file: /dev/raid0d
> -> Are all these control and reconstruct raidctl commands only
> available for unmounted raid devices??

It appears so.  I once edited /etc/rc like this:

# Configure raid devices.
for dev in 0 1 2 3; do
        if [ -f /etc/raid$dev.conf ]; then
                raidctl -c /etc/raid$dev.conf raid$dev
		raidctl -P /etc/raid$dev.conf raid$dev

Except that the parity reconstruct, at least on my 4x1GB on an SS5,
took something on the order of an hour to complete.

It seems there should be a way for the parity checking to be
done in the background.