Subject: Odd DVD-ROM question...
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/03/2000 22:16:32
Hello...

In an experiment, a coworker has lent me his portable DVD-ROM drive.  The
maker is said to be 'EXP Computer, Inc.' [www.expnet.com].  The drive
comes with a PCMCIA card that has a short cable attached to it with a 3
row 26 pin D connector on one end and an optional AC power connector.

The PCMCIA card was not identified by NetBSD right off, but appeared to be
a IDE interface card.  After adding the proper information to
/sys/dev/pcmcia/pcmciadevs and /sys/dev/pcmcia/wdc_pcmcia.c the card
probes as such:

pcmcia1: CIS version PCMCIA 2.0 or 2.1
pcmcia1: CIS info: EXP   , PnPIDE, F1
pcmcia1: Manufacturer code 0xffffffff, product 0xffffffff
pcmcia1: function 0: unspecified, ccr addr 100 mask 3
pcmcia1: function 0, config table entry 1: I/O card; irq mask deb8; iomask a, iospace 320-32f; mwait_required rdybsy_active wp_active bvd_active io16 irqlevel
pcmcia1: function 0, config table entry 2: I/O card; irq mask deb8; iomask a, iospace 340-34f; mwait_required rdybsy_active wp_active bvd_active io16 irqlevel
pcmcia1: function 0, config table entry 3: I/O card; irq mask deb8; iomask a, iospace 360-36f; mwait_required rdybsy_active wp_active bvd_active io16 irqlevel
wdc0 at pcmcia1 function 0
atapibus0 at wdc0 channel 0
cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0: <TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-C2002, 9800006091, 1724> type 5 cdrom removable
cd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2

All looks to be correct, except that any access to cd0 [with the drive
empty, with a CD-ROM or with a DVD-ROM in the drive] results in an I/O
error and the drive appears to shut itself off.  That is, the power light
on the front of the drive goes out when the error occurs.

The drive is suppose to be able to be powered from the PCMCIA card without
the need of the AC adaptor.  This did not appear to work properly with
NetBSD.  I have suspicions that the PCMCIA card has something odd about
it.

In any case, has anyone messed with this device or does anyone have an
idea as to what is going on??  Did I miss something obvious, or otherwise.
I have seen the drive play a DVD movie under MS-WINDOWS 98.

Thanks...

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org   http://anduin.eldar.org
[finger brad@anduin.eldar.org for PGP public key]