Subject: Re: marching unit numbers
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/31/1999 17:02:44
In message <199912312354.SAA03230@thunk.hamachi.org> Bill Sommerfeld writes:
: > This is wrong.  A substantial number of network cards do not have
: > their MAC Address in the CIS.  The MAC Address extention is relatively
: > recent thing.
:
: ahh well, sampling error on my part. there are, no doubt, other ways
: to accomplish this (something akin to the "match" routine could do
: it..).

That's likely true.  It is fairly easy to get the MAC address from the
card, just the exat specifics vary quite a bit..

: well, since we're talking about NetBSD, the other place is in the
: locators in the "struct cfdata".  if we can dynamically add these on
: the fly (which you want to do if you want to support dynamic
: single array as they are now, it becomes a simple matter of cloning
: the wildcard's cfdata into a more-specific cfdata with the appropriate
: locators in it..

Ah true.  I'd forgotten about that...

Warner