Subject: new 3Com PCI ethernet card
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/28/1999 18:59:09
I just got a 3Com 3CR990-TX-97. This is the card that has a builtin
coprocessor that handles (on Win2k only) IPSec and tcp segmentation
on-chip (cost $98 from CDW). Before putting it into the Windows box, I
plugged it into NetBSD-current and got the following probe:

  3Com product 0x9903 (ethernet network, revision 0x02)
  at pci0 dev 12 function 0 not configured

Just for grins, I added in a product ID for 0x9903 and put it into the
table in dev/pci/if_ex_pci.c so it would be recognized as an ex
device. When booted like this, it was recognized, but said that the mac
address was 00:00:00:00:00:00, and didn't probe any phy. So I struck out
(I expected as much).

If anyone wants to look at the part numbers on this card, I scanned it
at 300dpi and put a copy here:

   http://www.laine.org/3cr990tx97.jpg

A 150dpi version is here:

   http://www.laine.org/3cr990-small.jpg

but a few of the numbers can't be read. And here's 3Com's web page on
the subject:

    http://www.3com.com/products/dsheets/400517.html

I know we can't get any of the coprocessor stuff working without info
from 3Com (not to mention that it may not even fit in with NetBSD's
network stack model anyway), but it would be nice to get plain ethernet
working.

If anyone has anything they want me to try with this card, I'd be glad
to do it.