Subject: FYI: CA810 and CA810E motherboards work
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/20/1999 14:40:29
Carl Alexander and I tried out both CA810 and CA810E motherboards on
Saturday evening.  These are new mini-ATX motherboards, which have
video built into the bridge chipset, and use host RAM for the video
memory.

Both boards appear to work fine with NetBSD 1.4.1.

In case you're wondering how this works: the BIOS removes 1280K that
it allocated for the video buffer from the system memory map that's
queried by the boot block.  The kernel simply never sees that memory
range.  To support larger video modes, we'll need to do some work to
enable allocating a larger contiguous chunk of memory.