Subject: Re: diskless i386
To: Tracy J. Di Marco White <gendalia@iastate.edu>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: current-users
Date: 12/20/1999 18:56:14
gendalia@iastate.edu said:
> I can't use any network protocols (bootp, dhcp) for the machine to
> find its disks, I need for it to be able to get all the information it
> needs (IP address of nfs server, location of disks) off the boot
> floppy.  Rumor has it that I can do this, anyone have any pointers to
> info?

Who spreads such rumours?

It is possible, but needs some hacking:
in sys/nfs/nfs_boot.c:nfs_boot_init() you need to fill
an "nfs_diskless" structure, just as nfs_bootdhcp()
or nfs_bootparam() do if enabled.
You need to set the nd_myip, nd_mask and nd_gwip
IP address information (the gw can be zero).
The server must be specified by ndm_saddr and ndm_host.
As the comment in nfsdiskless.h says, ndm_host is a string
containing hostname:pathname; the hostname part is
meaningless.

best regards
Matthias