Subject: Re: cardbus and dhcp booting
To: None <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
From: Hayakawa Koichi <haya@arch.sony.co.jp>
List: current-users
Date: 12/20/1999 18:37:47
Hi,

From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
Subject: cardbus and dhcp booting
Date: 20 Dec 1999 01:09:49 -0800

 > I'm seeing a strangeness during the boot sequence.  An
 > isa->pcic->pcmcia->ep device is attached before the kernel looks to
 > find the root fs.  A pci->cbb->cardslot->pcmcia->ep device gets
 > attached *after* the kernel looks for a root device.  The upshot is
 > that I can't select the cardbus-connected ep0 as the root device. That
 > means I can't use dhpc-booting.

You can do that by adding flags 0x0001 below cardslot
definition in your config file, such as:

cardslot*	at cbb? flags 0x0001

This forces cardslot attaching a device when the device is
found.

 > I guess I don't understand what imposes the probe ordering.  Is this a
 > problem with my config file, or does something else need to change to
 > move the cardbus devices up a notch?

Because CardBus uses kernel thread to attach and detach
device.  Kernel thread starts after root device lookup.
--
HAYAKAWA, Koichi