Subject: Re: Random Review
To: Current NetBSD users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Feico Dillema <dillema@acm.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/18/1999 03:56:33
On Fri, Dec 17, 1999 at 09:45:47PM +0100, Eric Delcamp wrote:

> In the same way, I have tried to boot latest FreeBSD, and was impressed by
> the Install menus (better look than the NetBSD ;-)
> But FreeBSD install is missing a shell (TRUE shell) during install. Can't
> say anything about partitioning, I don't want to crash my multi-OS machine
> (but fdisk know Netware partitions).

I like the install menus look from the FreeBSD installer too. But,
after having used NetBSD and FreeBSD for some time I've learned again
that looks don't count for much. If a fancy look means losing the
shell fallback of the installer and losing decent feedback to what
the install process is doing or tries to do, then I hope NetBSD's
sysinst won't ever get such a fancy look. I've seen FreeBSD
installs just freeze without getting *any* clue on why (waiting
on network timeout, kernel crash, the weather?). It's not worth it.

The best about FreeBSD install is the ability to mess with the kernel
configured settings, like IRQ's and such. That at least used to be
very handy to deal with broken or misconfigured ISA hardware. With
modern hardware it's not that useful anymore though.

Feico.