Subject: RE: Random Review
To: None <>
From: Mike Hogsett <>
List: current-users
Date: 12/17/1999 11:39:11
>     Booting
> 	Thanks to the information provided me on IRC, I was able to
> 	set up my machine to boot BSD from my (work-required) NT boot
> 	menu.  I can't do this with Linux -- I have to use a boot floopy.

Untrue.  You can get NT to boot linux via its boot manager by:

1) writing the lilo boot block to the partition (not the MBR), then
2) use dd to read the first 512 bytes (the boot block) of the partition
   to a file.
3) copy this file onto your NT filesystem and
4) edit the boot.ini file to refer to the above file for booting linux.

It is a pain in the ass, but it does work.  Unfortunately if you rewrite
lilo to the partition you have to recreate the file for NT.   Read the
Linux HowTo at

Michael Hogsett

| Michael Hogsett              (650)859-2848     |
| SRI  International     Computer Science Laboratory     Menlo Park, CA 94025 |