Subject: Re: vt320s of the world unite... (fwd)
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 12/16/1999 15:40:15
According to Thor Lancelot Simon:

>I take it this doesn't just use SIXELS?  Why not?

It probably does _but_ ....

>OTOH, if it does, IIRC it ought to work on VT3xx, VT4xx, and maybe even
>VT125.  I can't remember if the 125's graphical capabilities included
>SIXELS or not -- the other things I'm *sure* did were the DEC inkjet
>printers.

I don't know about the vt125 but there is a difference between the
VT220 & VT3xx terminals in that the later terminals were capable of
using all the lines in the character cell (9 wasn't it?) whereas the
VT220 couldn't use the bottom line - it was always blank.  This is
dredging a long way back when we used to convert a TIFF file into a
user defined character set using sixels so we could put our mug shot
on the terminal screen, just to frighten unwary users that left
themselves logged in.  All this was done before we had any X
capability in the place.

BTW No, I seem to have lost track of the source code that did the TIFF
-> sixel conversion :-(