Subject: CVS repository copy is the least preferred way of moving files
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/15/1999 20:14:39
[ On Wednesday, December 15, 1999 at 18:13:25 (-0500), Thor Lancelot Simon wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: src/dist is a *bad* idea
>
> Wrong.  The *only* way to move files in a CVS-controlled source tree,
> while retaining revision history, involves a careful repository copy.

Ah, no, you're wrong there (though I suppose it depends on what exactly
you mean by "retaining revision history").

The preferred method of moving a file in a CVS repository, as documented
in the CVS manual, loses nothing, and leaves a perfect audit trail which
contains even more information than any of the alternate methods.

The "repository copy" method has several disadvantages and is the least
preferred method, even if you have tools to automate the process (which
given its complexity is a darn good idea!).  The least important of
these disadvantages is also documented in the CVS manual and hinted to
above.  In addition such copying leads to unnecessary duplication of
information; and as Greg Hudson points out it cannot work when a file
already existed of the same name (which of course is another opportunity
for error waiting to happen with this method since the previous file
will be in the Attic sub-directory and unless the rename/copy tools look
there too then damage to old releases occurs).  Lastly there's the
disadvantage that this method requires direct access to the repository
and cannot work in client/server-only mode (though of course if the
NetBSD repo has tools to do it then obviously this is not a direct
concern in this case).

--
							Greg A. Woods