Subject: Re: src/dist is a *bad* idea (was: New IP Filter v3.3.5 is now in the tree)
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/12/1999 15:19:18
woods@most.weird.com (Greg A. Woods) writes:
> [ On Sunday, December 12, 1999 at 13:39:28 (+0100), Bernd Ernesti wrote: ]
> > Subject: New IP Filter v3.3.5 is now in the tree
> >
> > The new version use dist/ipf.
>
> This sucks.  I really hate this "src/dist" crap.  If something is being
> *imported* into the tree then integrate it directly and properly as per
> the rules in hier(7).

That would make it hard to maintain portions of the tree that are
externally developed. By doing it our way, it is simple and easy. If
you want to contribute the cash for a non-volunteer to do things your
way, feel free. Otherwise, we're sticking to doing it this way when it
makes things simpler.

.pm