Subject: Re: how to interpret the examples in /usr/share/examples/ipf
To: Chan Yiu Wah <c5666305@hkstar.com>
From: Brian Stark <bstark@siemens-psc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/12/1999 12:41:04
On Sun, 12 Dec 1999, Chan Yiu Wah wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am going to config the ipf filter for my i386 system.  however, I am not
> familiar with it.  There are examples in the /usr/share/examples/ipf and I
> am not sure I understand them all.  Can anyone show me the direction to
> read it (e.g. document about the meaning of each token in the examples.).
> Please help.  Thanks.
>
> Clarence

Clarence,

Get a copy of the 'IP Filter Based Firewalls HOWTO' at:

  http://www.obfuscation.org/ipf/ipf-howto.txt

This is a very good tutorial on setting up IP filter, and much better than
reading the sample filters. This document is fairly easy reading and in no
time you should be able to create your own ipf.conf file.

Good luck.

Brian

| Brian Stark                       | Internet : bstark@siemens-psc.com |
| Siemens PT&D, Inc.                | Voice    : +1 612 536-4697        |
| Power Systems Control Division    | Fax      : +1 612 536-4919        |
| 7225 Northland Drive, Brooklyn Park, Minnesota 55428   USA            |