Subject: Re: ahc_pci.c v1.19
To: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
From: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@FreeBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/11/1999 13:17:54
>I will, uhh, volunteer to test the driver on an Older board, if you like.
>Linux uses some incarnation of this FreeBSD driver, and its unpredictable
>lossage on my old Adaptec board was the last straw that convinced me to
>ditch Linux for NetBSD.

Although the Linux driver is a "port" of the FreeBSD driver, it is certainly
not something I would consider using either.  There are so many hacks in
the Linux driver to deal with their broken SCSI architecture, it amazes
me that this works at all.

>It's probably fixed by now, and I see no reason for NetBSD to maintain
>redundant code for all 100 incompatible buggy revisions of the
>shrinkwrapped Adaptec junk when FreeBSD is so eager to tackle this task
>themselves. But when you said that i sort of twitched involuntarily.

Actually there are relatively few bugs in the aic7xxx product line.  The
main problem is finding out about the bugs, eeprom format and termination
control changes when they occur.  This has become significantly easier as
Adaptec is much more opensource friendly than it was a few years ago.

--
Justin