Subject: Re: i386 elf and libc
To: None <>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 12/10/1999 23:55:35
>>> From this perspective, the "newest" a.out libraries aren't
>>> "compatible" with "old" NetBSD.  e.g. I can't really use libc.12.40
>>> instead of my on an older version of NetBSD.

>> You can't?  Then a minor number bump is insufficient; the major
>> number should have been changed.

> They might use a new system call.. but that has nothing to do with
> the interface they present to applications.

Oh.  Bing bing bing.  Of course.

You can use libc.12.40 with a kernel of corresponding age and an
otherwise old system, but you can't use libc.12.40 with an old kernel
regardless of the rest of userland.  In particular, you can't drop
libc.12.40 into an otherwise bog-standard old system and have it work.

My apologies for the confusion.

					der Mouse