Subject: Re: i386 elf and libc
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/10/1999 23:45:04
On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, Michael Richardson wrote:

:   Who cares? The files aren't compatible, yet we keep the same name.
:
:   If we changed the name in some way, I wouldn't need /emul/aout. I hope will
: go with Matthew's patch.

You don't need /emul/aout if you just add something to /etc/ld.so.conf to
find the libraries elsewhere.  This is one of several alternate solutions
proposed in other threads.

We aren't likely to change version numbers just because of this argument
which has already demonstrated to be troublesome (see libc.so.{0,1,2} and
libC.so.{0-5} in various versions of SunOS and Solaris on m68k, sparc, and
i386; also see Linux a.out vs. glibc1 vs. glibc2).

And I've already stated how changing NetBSD's numbers still doesn't do a
thing for you in the case of third party libraries, which in pkgsrc
outnumber the NetBSD base libraries by almost two orders of magnitude.

:   I have 68k, i386 and sparc. I never found an occasion to compare major
: numbers between ports.

You don't delve much into making multi-arch distributions, I see.  ;)

--
-- Todd Vierling (tv@pobox.com)