Subject: Re: i386 elf and libc
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 12/10/1999 15:55:53
>  I think that we should consider bumping all major versions of libraries
>for a port which switches from a.out to elf. Does ELF make major versioning
>of shared libraries easier? Will we ever get rid of the renames?

Nope. But ELF does  make minor numbers meaningless.

I'm surprised at the people who continue to bump sharedlib minor
version numbers.  We should (collectively) know better.
Hm, I spose it serves as some kind of documentation.
Plus there's all the (er) legacy ports still running a.out.

But as far as ELF is concerned, the minor numbers are completely
without meaning, both at app linktime, and when binding an app to a
shared lib.  (Unless one links to a specific minor version number by
mistake, in which case you need to relink apps to change to a
different minor). Other than that, the minors are completley invisible
to ld.elf_so.  (Unless Im going senile, that is.)