Subject: Re: vt320s of the world unite... (fwd)
To: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/10/1999 01:16:46
On Thu, Dec 09, 1999 at 07:01:16PM -0800, Brian D Chase wrote:

> Note that GIF320 uses some obscure character-set definition escape
> sequences, so if you use a VT-320 emulator or a VT-320 clone, it may
> not work. It will not work on a 220 or a 420, although the 420
> claims to emulate a 320. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a
> 420, so I'm looking for someone with a VT-420, a manual, and intricate
> knowledge of escape sequences to hack on one for me and find out why
> not.

I take it this doesn't just use SIXELS?  Why not?

OTOH, if it does, IIRC it ought to work on VT3xx, VT4xx, and maybe even
VT125.  I can't remember if the 125's graphical capabilities included
SIXELS or not -- the other things I'm *sure* did were the DEC inkjet
printers.

Also, Ultrix' DECterm enhanced xterm did this -- it basically emulated
a vt-anything-you-might-care-for.  Anyone know if it lived on into
the Digital Unix era?