Subject: Re: FreeBSD ELF emulation
To: Cliff Crawford <cjc26@cornell.edu>
From: Bill Marquette <billm@danger.ms>
List: current-users
Date: 12/09/1999 16:30:26
On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Cliff Crawford wrote:
> Btw, what differences are there between the intel port of NetBSD, and
> FreeBSD?  Why would someone want to switch from FreeBSD to NetBSD?
> I'm not looking to start a flame war or anything, I'm just curious.

My largest two reasons were:
  ATAPI CD Recordable support in NetBSD (ie. cdrecord, not worm *yech*)
  SB AWE32 just worked...I fought for over a day in FreeBSD and gave up.
    worked on install too I might add (after having to turn up volume
    using mixerctl)

so far the only "bad" thing I've noticed (and no I haven't tried or looked
very hard) is that my parallel Zip drive appears to be unsupported.  When
I get around to it, I'll look harder or move it to my other system running
OpenBSD which, I think does suport it.  That and a slightly smaller
package (ports) collection would be the only reason I have to stay with
FreeBSD.  But 650MB of rewriteable storage, a working sound card, and
being able to run a binary package from FreeBSD if need be (not to
mention possibly having it just "work" using port2pkg) kind of outweigh
the two negatives for me.

Just my 2 cents.

--Bill