Subject: Re: 3c985B ?
To: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/08/1999 12:19:34
On Wed, Dec 08, 1999 at 12:39:30PM -0400, David Maxwell wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 08, 1999 at 10:52:54AM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> >
> > Do we actually support GigE-sized frames yet?
>
> Gig-E frames aren't bigger. They wouldn't be switchable to (fast)ethernet
> if they were. They have a larger minimum size (to allow collision detection
> at the higher speed), but some vendors skip that when used in full-duplex
> configs. (Where there are no collisions to worry about)

I was somehow under the impression there was a larger maximum size, too.

At 1Gb/sec, switching or routing millions of 1.5K frames just to transfer
one large file seems particularly idiotic.  Even most 100Mb/sec Ethernet
cards can be configured to use FDDI-sized (4k) frames, though not all
(few?) switches can cope with this...