Subject: Re: 3c985B ?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: current-users
Date: 12/07/1999 20:51:25
bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr said:
> The 3com model which seems available these days is the 3c985B. Does
> anyone know if it's close enouth to the 3c895 and will work with our
> driver ?

I've used a 3c985b myself to port the driver. It works just fine.
Afair the 3c985 and ..b differ in the version of the "Tigeon" chip,
but 3com didn't waste another PCI device ID.

Whether this is a good buy is another question. Most gigabit cards
on the market are similar - all use the same "Tigeon" chip. The
3com card is probably one of the more expensive.
(Well, I also got a DEC DEGPA. It probably beats even 3com's price.)

best regards
Matthias