Subject: Re: RAID followup...
To: Peter Seebach <>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <>
List: current-users
Date: 12/07/1999 12:07:47
On Tue, Dec 07, 1999 at 07:21:24AM -0600, Peter Seebach wrote:
> So, what external RAID boxes have people specifically tried?  I'd just go
> and pick one, but I know that BSD/OS has occasionally gotten burned by "very
> close to SCSI" implementations...

I am very fond of the CMD 5440/5500 controllers, but they're somewhat
throughput-limited if you hook a pile of brand-new disks up to them (there
is a U2 model, but it only does 40MB/sec because the box hasn't got enough
oomph to do 80).  There's a new 7240 model that I saw at Comdex that
really looked terrific, but it may be very expensive.  Can't hurt to ask,

Thor Lancelot Simon
	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"