Subject: Re: RAID followup...
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/07/1999 12:07:47
On Tue, Dec 07, 1999 at 07:21:24AM -0600, Peter Seebach wrote:
> So, what external RAID boxes have people specifically tried?  I'd just go
> and pick one, but I know that BSD/OS has occasionally gotten burned by "very
> close to SCSI" implementations...

I am very fond of the CMD 5440/5500 controllers, but they're somewhat
throughput-limited if you hook a pile of brand-new disks up to them (there
is a U2 model, but it only does 40MB/sec because the box hasn't got enough
oomph to do 80).  There's a new 7240 model that I saw at Comdex that
really looked terrific, but it may be very expensive.  Can't hurt to ask,
though!

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"