Subject: Re: remote GDB of kernel
To: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
From: Ethan Solomita <ethan@sfo.geocast.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/06/1999 18:44:23
Laine Stump wrote:

> At 02:18 PM 12/6/99 -0600, Greg Oster wrote:
> >"who knows".  I've seen occassional sillyness with this too, esp. when
> trying
> >to get it all working for the first time.
>
> Actually, I've been getting frustrated by the "n" command taking up to 30
> sec. or so to complete sometimes (and other times completing immediately),
> so I just turned on remotedebug. It looks like sometime commands aren't

	I was having the same problem too. It seems that I'd added a printf()
to the target machine's kernel, which would always cause it to drop
whatever the other side was sending. I have no idea why. But I changed
the target's kernel such that it never printed anything between incoming
commands, and then everything worked fine.

	I don't know if this is your problem, but the description is very
similar. It would always get one command through, then drop the next
command and wait for the gdb-host to reissue the command, which would go
through and then the next command would be dropped, etc. This happened
even at low speeds such as 300 baud.
	-- Ethan