Subject: Re: RAID suggestions
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Pfaller <leo@lethe.dachau.marco.de>
List: current-users
Date: 12/06/1999 21:10:39
In article <Pine.GSO.4.05.9912040212170.27898-100000@rfhs8036>,
	feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de (Hubert Feyrer) writes:
> On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Peter Seebach wrote:
>> Anything obvious I'm missing?
>
> Yes: pure hardware raids that have several scsi/ide disks on one side and
> a scsi connector on the other side, acting like a single big scsi disk.
> i have such a thing called "Arena Raid" (see www.starline.de) that puts
> 6*25G IDE together w/ RAID5 (hot spare would be possible), and it works
> fine, bonnie tells me 20MB/s on a Ultra10 (w/ Solaris :-).
> Configuration is via the front panel, it's also possible via a serial
> terminal and (if you need it :-) a windows frontend for that.

and these boxes have two (hotswap capable) PSUs and all six drives are
mounted in hotswap capable drive bays. *And* these boxes have a really
nice pricetag. Iirc we just paid ~DM5800 for 6x15G with the i960
controller board and 32mb cache (their website is at www.arena.net.tw).

Matthias
--
Matthias Pfaller                            Software Entwicklung
marco Systemanalyse und Entwicklung GmbH    Tel   +49 8131 5161-41